The 2021 Taiwan Studies Award
Accepting applications from students and faculty interested in pursuing a research project related to Taiwan Studies in 2021.
24 February 2021
The Taiwan Studies Program invites applications from students and faculty interested in pursuing a research project related to Taiwan Studies in 2021.
- Continuing faculty members in Arts.
- Undergraduate or graduate students registered in a degree program in Arts in Winter Term, 2021.
Outline of program:
Awards of up to $10,000 for faculty and $5,000 for students to fund a short-term research project related to Taiwan Studies or participation in an academic conference hosted in Taiwan.
- Applicants will submit a two-page proposal including a brief project description, motivation for undertaking the research, expected outcomes, and a budget outlining expenditures.
- Please submit your proposal to email@example.com by the deadline of 15 April 2021, under the subject heading “Taiwan Research Proposal.”
- Student applicants must also request a confidential letter of reference from a faculty mentor or supervisor, to be submitted directly as a signed pdf on letterhead to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An interdisciplinary committee will adjudicate the applications. It is anticipated that awards will be made to researchers in all categories (undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty).
- Preference will be given to proposals clearly linked to degree programs or certificates (students), original research leading to refereed publications, or creative activity leading to public performance (faculty).
- The announcement of awards will be made in mid-May.
Grant recipients are required to spend all funds and submit all expense claims to the Department of Political Science by August 15, 2021 (THIS IS A FIRM DEADLINE).
Grant recipients agree to permit the listing of their names and project titles on the program website.
Publications resulting from the grant must acknowledge the support of the Taiwan Studies Initiative at the University of Alberta and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taiwan.
Grant recipients are responsible for their own passport and visa arrangements, insurance, accommodation, and other living expenses during the grant period. Reimbursement of costs will be made after the research is complete. Detailed receipts are required for all travel & research expense reimbursements.